Monday, October 29, 2012

Bonne Journee, Montreal

The second day in Montreal was filled with walking, brunching, comfort-fooding, and pastry-eating.  I actually tried to dress myself and looked adorable in front of a stone house adjacent to a quad-park at McGill University.
Beanie from ASOS, vest from H&M, top from Banana Republic, BDG  jeans, Minnetonka booties, Ecote handbag, and the studded cuff I always wear.
We then ate at a kitschy little bistro that featured many French children's comics.  I ordered savory, buckwheat crepes and they were to die for.  Where else to get good crepes than in a province in a country that has French-speakers?

Me eating an egg, cheese, ham, and onion crepe with a side of coffee.
And then Jil, Katharine, and I wandered around the old quarter for several hours, taking pictures of random shops we found and being silly.  One of the foods I definitely wanted to eat while in Montreal was poutine (which I consistently mispronounced to say something else).  We found it at a hole-in-the-wall drunchy place, but Jil and Katharine decided to eat some eclairs and drink cappucinos while I tasted the poutine in this lovely establishment named ChocoMacaMousse.  It had some of the cutest decor and the eclairs were too good.  I actually enjoyed the poutine, but I could definitely go my entire life without eating it again.
Display case at ChocoMacaMousse
Me eating the poutine.  Sad part of it, is that it was gluten-free (even the gravy)
Then our foodie adventuring led us to a Polish restaurant, which left me a very happy Polak.  Jil had never had Polish food before in her life, so this opportunity was excellent for introducing her to some of my favorite dishes.  We got borscht and I got my favorite food: golabki.  She got fried kluski with meat (which is not gluten-free...yet!).
Golabki: cabbage, rice, meat, and onions.  Side of mashed potatoes and tons of veggies.
And then we went out with a bang, drinking absinthe, to a Crystal Castles gig at this awesome venue called the Metropolis.  It was seriously a good show and a great way to end our trip.  We wearily rode back to America the next day.  I had a wonderful time in Canada for the weekend and I seriously want to go back there forever.

Keep it yummy,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment