Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Unironic Love of the Grilled Cheese

I not-so-secretly and secretly love the grilled cheese sandwich.  It is quite perfect and very versatile.  I was greatly disheartened yesterday when I thought my sprout, red pepper hummus, and turkey sandwich fell a little flat.  So today, I wanted to do something on the warmer side.  I made myself a grilled cheese beanwich.

Grilled Cheese Bean-wich
1 slice of Kraft American cheese singles
2 spoonfuls (I used about two tablespoons) of refried black beans
1 teaspoon of butter
1 spritz of cooking spray
2 slices of gluten-free multigrain (my favorite is Udi's)

First, toast the bread if you pulled it out of the freezer at 8 AM like I did.  Then smear the butter on the "outside" of the bread.  On both side on the "inside," smear the refried beans, a tablespoon on each side.  Then heat up a pan and spritz with cooking spray.  Smash the two pieces together with the Kraft single in between and put it in the pan butter-side down.  I like to wait until my cheese "wilts" a little before flipping it. Then put in lunch box and promptly go to work so you're not late, but still have deliciousness.

I guess you can cut it in half and dip it in salsa or sour cream, which is definitely something I will try when I have a little more time to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment