Sunday, February 10, 2013

Mardi Gras Weekend Indulgences: Scallops and Galaxy Leggings

Happy weekend-gras! See what I did there? Though, I think most people refer to it as Carnivale weekend, but either way.  I hope you're enjoying traditional indulgences before Lent (if you're into that).  I also hope everyone stayed safe in Snowgnarok here on the East Coast.

Just before the storm came, Matt and I went to the grocery store to get some food, and one of our purchases was scallops, one of our favorite seafoods.  And I guess I should feature the recipe used here (since it is somewhat original).
Look at them defrosting.
The defrosting was probably the longest part.  But soon after came the spicing and searing.  I like searing because high heat and minimal contact with oil creates flavor and crunch without too much unhealthiness.
Angry scallop is angry.
Look at them sizzling!
In the pan, we tossed in some garlic paste for some added flavor.  If you're into that.  Me and Matt clearly are.
So pretty and yummy looking.
As a side, we made peas and rice, since those are things that go with seafood.  And wine, but we didn't make or have that because we totally don't drink because we're underaged.
So this picture came out pretty dark.  Sorry.
Scallops with Peas and Rice
Scallops

  • 8 scallops
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon garlic paste
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • Salt and pepper
Peas and Rice

  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon dried cilantro (though I'm sure fresh cilantro would be even better)
  • 1/2 cup peas
  1. Defrost scallops
  2. While the scallops defrost, cook rice in rice cooker
  3. When the rice is almost done, add the lemon juice and cilantro
  4. Heat the butter and oil on a large pan on medium-high
  5. Use spatula to put garlic paste
  6. Place scallops on the pan for 1 minute and a half on each side
  7. Add peas
Serves: 2

Shirt (Urban Outfitters), hat (pins and needles), leggings (Tobi), shoes (Aerosoles), cuff (gift from mum),  and necklace (Urban Outfitters)
Since it was Carnival weekend, I decided to go a little crazy with my outfit.  By crazy, I mean, I wore leggings as pants and not just ANY leggings, but my favorite galaxy leggings.  The color also matches the nautical theme of the dinner with the wave-shaped rice with the scallops.  I wish I had a masquerade mask to wear, but that's an art project for another time.

So no entry on Tuesday, but Thursday, look forward to a post about Valentine's Day's ultimate treat: chocolate truffle.

Keep it yummy,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment