Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Burrito Bowl-Pies

I experimented in making my own recipe last week and here is the product.  I bring to you Burrito Bowl-Pies!  They have all the filling-goodness of a pie and the holding capacity of a bowl.  And you can eat the bowl as part of your dinner.  How cool is that?
The finished product with a glass water splashed with lemon juice.
Ingredients:
  • 5 tortillas (corn because wheat sucks)
  • 1/2 diced onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Old El Paso taco mix
  • 1 chicken breast for the whole diner
  • 1/4 cup of rice (uncooked)
  • 2 teaspoons of La Preferida refried black beans per tortilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cilantro paste per tortilla
  • 1 teaspoon of Goya pico de gallo per tortilla
  • Pinch of Mexican cheese blend per tortilla
All the ingredients.  Except the garlic paste; I never wound up using it.
Preheat oven to 350°F.  Cook the rice before you do anything else.  Caramelize the onion on a pan with olive oil.  Then "bread" the chicken with Old El Paso taco mix and pan-fry until half-done after you have removed the onions.
Your "breaded" chicken.
Cut a tortilla and wrap it into a muffin tin.
Cut...
...and wrap
 Add one teaspoon of rice for each tortilla.  Add a few chicken strips and onions.  Then cover in 1 teaspoon of refried black beans.  On top of that, put the cilantro paste and the pico de gallo.  Top with cheese.  Place in the oven for 15 minutes.  The tortillas should be ready to go become friends with your taste buds and tummy.
Before the oven.
Continuing with the spirit of experimentation (no, not that kind), I decided to give myself bangs and dress cooler and edgier.  Since this dish involved many layers working together to create something wonderful, this outfit reflects that spirit perfectly.
Hat: ASOS, Sweater: Free People, Necklace: Anne Taylor LOFT, studded cuff, Jeans: BDG
I'm also practicing taking pictures of my outfits and looking awesome while doing it.  Let me know on my Lookbook or comment on how I'm doing!

Keep it yummy,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment