Thursday, January 24, 2013

Being Assertive: Gluten-Free in Miami

As I mentioned yesterday, I went to Miami over break and had no access to a computer.  Getting around without one was hard, so that encouraged me to fall asleep early and whatnot.  Anyway, an important lesson I learned was to be more assertive in asking for my gluten-free foods (or foods that inherently do not have gluten in it) for fear of my stomach freaking out.

It starts with me and my friends going to South Beach for the day before going out.  I dressed so cute because I was hoping for some shenanigans.
Tee shirt (urban outfitters), skirt (Pacsun), sandals (century 21), bag (free people)
So Caroline, one of my friends, the one I was staying with the week, proposed going to Mangos, which is this bar/live-music stage/restaurant full of funny people and known for food.  I looked down the menu, which was full of standard bar fare, until I saw shrimp tacos, which said they had corn tortillas.  So I ordered it.  And man, I was disappointed.
That, my friends, is a flour tortilla.
 So, I should have been more assertive and asked for corn tortillas, but it was so loud and it was hard to flag down the waiter--crap, I am making too many excuses, but either way, I did not speak up to have it changed.  What's the least logical thing that I did?  Ate it all anyway.  And cuddled with myself for a while.  But, after several trips to the bathroom, I was fine, but it was such a damper on my day.

So the take-home message is: when you're away from home and going to restaurants you've never been to, don't be afraid to change dishes and get what you want!  That's my rant.  And probably the person who had the best time was the waiter who gave me his number...

And this 70-year-old woman rocking her ass off.

Keep it yummy,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment