Friday, July 20, 2012

Chinese Food Pt. 1: The Lazy Susan & Peking Duck Dinner

Usually when I have been on a tour with a group of people, we had menus when we went out to eat meals included with the trip.  These usually had also been at crappy restaurants where the food made me feel bloated and gain ten pounds in three weeks (thank you Planet Hollywood and Applebees.  This misfortune happened before I had any sense and reason when it came to eating).  But when in China, do as the Chinese.

The Chinese seem to like to share their meals.  Four people would get together, order four different meals, but everyone ate a bit of what everyone else ordered.  Which, I think, is a better attitude than looking at each order as my dish.  It is called "sharing a meal" after all!

I present to you: the Lazy Susan
The meal depicted in the above picture is not the one I am highlighting in this post.  But that same day, for dinner, we went to one of the best Peking duck restaurants in Beijing (apparently).  So I felt it was appropriate to wear a bird dress with a feather necklace.
Because surfing duck is awesome.  Dress: H&M, Necklace: Urban Outfitters, Purse: Cooperative, Shoes: Converse, Bracelet: Found in my house
I wish I could exactly tell you, dear reader, what the food was.  But as far as I know, my favorite part was the blood-soaked tofu and rice pancake roll-up with the duck and cucumber and onion slices.  It was really good, but people in my group did not enjoy it.  I have no idea why that could have been.  Then again, I will eat most food as long as I am not in immediate danger of getting sick.

The duck roll-up is on the right.  This disaster used to look like:

Look at this awesome plating, you guys
So that was the first meal I had in China after being delayed in Detroit for almost a day.  I took pictures of all my meals, but some I will not show-case as they do sometimes include wheat products (I was getting such bad stomach problems from eating most things that I gave up and started eating everything.  Also, this blog focuses on wheat-free options for people, so my diet deviations will not be featured.  Unless someone asks).

More posts to come in the upcoming days!

Keep it yummy,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment