Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Melting Pot

So I'll be working on my four-part (yeah, decided it'd be 4 parts) series on Chinese food in China which will be posted every Sunday as I work on just uploading the pictures.  Why did I do this?  So I can make entries that happening in real time too!

Today, I decided to dress up a little americana.  Bandanas and denim are, what I like to think of, as cowboy staples and if the bandana is red, the tank top is white, and the shirt is blue, it makes the American flag.

Duh.
Yay for awkward mirror pics.  So what goes with an americana outfit in terms of food?  Of course something that represents the amurrican spirit!  The first thing that came to my mind, being an immigrant myself, was the idea of the melting pot.  And what better way to blend flavors together than to do a stir fry.  The recipe from Martha Stewart calls for more Asian flavors, like Chinese cabbage and ginger.  But we used beets leaves and string beans instead.  And the pork was not ground, but pre-marinated in chunks.  The rice noodles remained the same, but I changed the sauce to a soy, lime juice, ginger powder, and sriracha sauce mixture.

Look at all these fresh ingredients, guys
I was so hungry that I forgot to take a picture of the finished product.  But the self-made sauce definitely added a bit of a punch.  The noodles stir fried perfectly (something I was worried about) and they are amazing because they grab on to flavor so well.

So that was dinner last night.  I will post again in the next few days about some other stylishly delicious idea.  Have suggestions?  Feel free to comment or email.

Keep it yummy,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment