Monday, August 20, 2012

Renaissance Fare

I have been into fantasy and medieval things like Lord of the Rings and King Arthur for as long as I can remember (see also why I am a terrible blogger who watched such movies instead of writing the promised blog post).  It's just so mystical and the fashions are gorgeous.  So I was super excited when the vague plans to go to the Sterling Renaissance Festival became a concrete trip.  Andrew, Andrea, Jil, Steve, Marissa and I got into Jil's buggy and went for a what-should-have-been 1.5 hour drive to the fair.  It was set up in forest-y area where people rode decorated horses and dressed up in period pieces.
Look at this horse, this horse is amazing
Medieval royal fair has generally been associated with rich meals, while peasants have been generally associated with slop.  Well, I associate more with the peasants than with royalty (I am a rather simple girl, to be quite honest).  So, knowing about out-dated norms that exposed ankles were scandalous, as were pants, I decided to opt for a maxi skirt.
Hat (bought at the fair), shirt (Urban Outfitters), skirt (PacSun), purse (Urban Outfitters), glasses (Urban Outfitters)
Now for the food?  Of course, being the meat eater that I tend to be, I got a massive turkey leg, and, given the spice-lover that I tend to be, I got the thing slathered in hot sauce.
Is it the size of my face?  I think so.
Sheesh, I don't think I've ever ate a piece of meat that good.  I looked up online some fact about it and apparently it is a 1000 calories and you need to walk 5 and a half hours to burn that off.  Well, good thing that that's how long we were at the fair and the duration of afterwards shenanigans.  Plus, I really hate all this talk about how festival food is totally bad for you (it is, oh, it definitely is) but at the same time, how often do people actually attend these things?  I eat pretty clean most of my life and if I want to enjoy a day out with my friends, I should be able to eat whatever I please.  That is my rant.

Overall, the festival was so much fun.  Highlights included swinging a swords, watching a joust, and witnessing the Highland Games.  I can't wait to do it again next year.

Keep it yummy,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment